Wednesday, August 25, 2010

DDP - Exit Journey Part 03

(AUTHOR'S NOTE - This is getting more difficult to share with you, but you've come with me this far. This isn't pretty, and I thank you for your grace to continue on this journey. That said, please remember: I'm sharing this with you as I see it. I'm not trying to dramatically manipulate or anything. As a matter of fact, if I feel myself manipulating what I see in any way, I stop and go do something else. So, what you are reading is what I see as I see it. Hence, the narrative is not perfect, and I'm not taking the time to edit it.)
========================
The dark army of -self encircles me.

Even though my vision is blurred, I know these shadows all too well - a host of other characters whom I have never acknowledged in the light.

I have let these creatures live in this shadowy place of my cave of solace. By refusing to look in the mirror, I have let them gather strength in this dark cavern.

Then, the first attack comes. My Doubt. He delivers a crushing blow to my head.

As I stumble, he screams obscenities about my lack of faith, calling into question every skill, every talent I have.

My backpack...my skills! My talents!

I make a move for my bag, and Doubt calls out to his partner: my sense of Worthlessness.

Worthlessness steps between me and my bag, blocking the way. He declares some half-truths about my insignificance. No...I know better...

Worthlessness spots the defiance in my gaze, so he calls out to a third partner: my Pride.

Pride steps up beside Worthlessness and Doubt. The three of them create an inner circle within the larger circle of dark, taunting shadows.

The three partners rush me. This time, I'm defending myself!
The fight plays out like a bad Kung-Fu movie, except instead of being able to fend of my adversaries, they gain the upper hand.

Pride delivers a stiff kick directly into my chest. I collapse backward and land at the feet of an older-looking version of myself.

This is the part of me that I despise: Time. His iron grip wraps around my throat and lifts me off my feet and hurls me across the cavern.

My back slams against the cavern wall. Time made one mistake. He threw me right next to my backpack.

He's across the cavern, so I take the opportunity to reach for my skills. Yet, within a blink, he is in front of me. Time moves more quickly than I realized. He scoffs at my skills and talents.

He calls out to Pride, Worthlessness and Doubt, "Dallas thinks that these skills can save him against his age!" He laughs as he continues, "Look at that: a one-time prodigy, now in his thirties, who has yet to make any impact in the world!"

Time gives a high-five to another shadow: my Insignificance.

Insignificance picks up my bag, pours out the contents onto the cave floor, kicks dust on them and laughs.

The others laugh as well, mocking me.

Enraged, I let out a scream and plow right into Insignificance.

The others continue laughing until I lay them out, one by one, with my fists. Pride, Worthlessness and Doubt join Insignificance in a heap on the floor.

All I can see is red as I rush Time and tackle him to the floor, pummeling his wrinkled face with my bloodied, swollen fists.

After a moment, I cease my attack. I didn't want to fight these shadows with force, but I...

Then, I hear applause. I stand up, huffing and puffing, my heart still racing. I turn around.

Standing there, applauding my every move is: my Anger.

His sly smile quickly melts into a rage. He races toward me and knocks me to the ground.

(TO BE CONTINUED...)

1 comment:

  1. "Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me."

    In my DDPs I know I can't lift myself out or fight my way out. I must rely on being rescued by my Shepherd. The rescue rarely comes as quickly as I'd like, but the lesson is to learn to trust.

    "And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose."

    All things are not enjoyable. All things are not understandable. Some things a painful and frightening, but we're here to learn how to walk with our Shepherd through the valley without fear.

    You can't overcome fear unless you're forced to face it. You'll never really know the Shepherd unless you learn to sense His protection in the DDP.

    ReplyDelete